Monthly Archives: April 2013

Can my ex move my child out of state without my permission?

There is one particular Kansas statute that appears on the surface to uphold fathers rights to access to their children, but upon further inspection reveals an alarming lack of respect for Kansas fathers’ rights. The law requires the custodial parent (usually the mother) to give written notice to the non-custodial parent (usually the father) at least 30 days in advance of relocating the residence of the child, such as a move out of state. Failure to do so is an indirect civil contempt punishable by law and includes awarding of attorney fees and expenses incurred by failing to give proper Read more

Kansas Divorce: Understanding the Basics

Divorce and Marriage Dissolution in Kansas In Kansas, in order to begin a case for divorce, one of the parties must have been an actual resident of Kansas for at least sixty (60) days immediately preceding the date the Petition for Divorce was filed K.S.A. § 60-1601(a). A Petition for Divorce may be filed in the county in which the petitioner is an actual resident, the county in which the respondent is an actual resident, the county in which the respondent can be served with process; or, if the petitioner is a resident of or stationed at a U.S. military post, Read more